question possibly regarding R and possibly regarding architecture

Hi everyone,

On a usb with knoppix live uname -a gives the response

Linux Microknoppix 5.3.5-64 #16 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 23 02:08:38 CEST 2019 x86_64 GNU/Linux

uname -i

unknown

I am trying to run a python script that uses R, and I am getting an error:
OSError: cannot load library '/usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so': /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32

When look at the directory /usr/lib/R/lib/, the file libR.so is listed there.

When I look up on the internet what might be the cause of this, there is some indication about R being of 32 bit or 4 bit architecture. But I am not able to resolve the issue on my own completely.

when R starts it states that the Platform is i686-pc-linux-gnu (32-bit)

Does anyone have any idea why R is installed as 32-bit, and if and how can it be changed to 64-bit, and if this indeed is the cause of the problem I am facing.

Thank you for your time and patience?