Re: 8.2 no X in Sony Vaio VGN-CR290E Intel GM965

Eric Kudzin composed on 2019-06-08 23:03 (UTC):

> If you are using the kernel cmdline cheatcode:

> no3d

> there is a problem on 8.2 which causes X to crash (continual re-spawning on boot). The simple fix is to use the cheatcode:

> nocompiz

> instead.

> I have tested this on 8.2 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NS325J (different chipset) and a Compaq tc4400 (Intel 945GM and has S-Video)

> You may still need use your kernel cmdline cheatcode.

> As far as installing, it depends how you want it installed. I think you can use:

> flash-knoppix

>>From runlevel 2. Use:

> flash-knoppix --help

Nocomposite 2 got it booted. Systemctl isolate graphical creates error message
unknown unit. Init 5 started X. I got as far as install to HD operation Gparted,
but couldn't figure out how to tell it to install to /dev/sda9. Exiting Gparted
seems to loop back to a point, then exit without any message after again selecting
sda.

> for more info, and be careful you select the correct drive, as some of the options will format the whole drive.

--help is terse, no language there I interpret to include ability to install to
existing HD partition. I tried

	flash-knoppix -a -m p /dev/sda9 	(EXT4 formatted 23GB)

and got error overlay size too small (minimum 400MB required. I added -p 800, and
got same error. I changed 800 to 8000 and still got same error, and same with 12000.

> I hope this helps.

Thanks for trying.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/