Re: 8.2 no X in Sony Vaio VGN-CR290E Intel GM965

If you are using the kernel cmdline cheatcode:

no3d

there is a problem on 8.2 which causes X to crash (continual re-spawning on boot). The simple fix is to use the cheatcode:

nocompiz

instead.

I have tested this on 8.2 on my Sony Vaio VGN-NS325J (different chipset) and a Compaq tc4400 (Intel 945GM and has S-Video)

You may still need use your kernel cmdline cheatcode.

As far as installing, it depends how you want it installed. I think you can use:

flash-knoppix

>From runlevel 2. Use:

flash-knoppix --help

for more info, and be careful you select the correct drive, as some of the options will format the whole drive.

I hope this helps.

- Eric

P.S. If you are running Knoppix 8.1-8.3 you should also run the command:

sudo apt-get -y purge eject

as there is a data corruption problem (zero byte files) when a filesystem is ejected from the filemanager and re-mounted.

If you need to, for example, eject a CD/DVD you can use

/KNOPPIX/usr/bin/eject /dev/sr0

afterwards.

I know from experience this is a problem for 8.1 and 8.2 but I read it also affects 8.3. I don't have a copy of 8.3 (or 8.5 for that matter) because they were only released in the German version of the magazine, and not the U.S. version.