Re: saving cheatcodes

Maybe
https://www.pendrivelinux.com/boot-multiple-iso-from-usb-via-grub2-using-linux/
shows another option. I use it, with - more or less - one difference: I
create an ext3 on the USB Flash Drive.

Essentially you partition the USB drive with one partition, create a
file system on that partition, copy the iso file as-is onto that
partition, install grub2, edit grub.cfg with what you find on the
knoppix iso file in either grub.cfg or isolinux.cfg and use grub's loop
device to access the iso image.

My grub.cfg entry looks like

menuentry "Knoppix 8.1" {
  echo Loading linux64 ...
  echo DVD image is KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso
  set isofile="/KNOPPIX_V8.1-2017-09-05-EN.iso"
  loopback loop $isofile
  linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux64 2 bootfrom=/dev/sda3$isofile
lang=us apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce libata.force=noncq
hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1 utc tz=UTC no3d nozram
  echo Loading minirt ...
  initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
}

The value for the bootfrom option doesn't seem to be important as
knoppix can figure out on which device the $isofile is.

Yes, I boot to the command line, have a us keyboard, do not want 3d nor
zram but utc.

And yes, you can copy more iso images to the USB drive and boot them as
well: debian, ubuntu, fedora, centos, gentoo, tcl, ...

And yes, you can add grub entries to boot an iso image which is on your
hard disk, so you don't really need a big USB drive.

Sure, if you have grub2 already on your hard disk, you don't need a USB
drive at all.