 Subject: knoppix64 8.2 on Sandy Bridge produces no X
 To: debian-knoppix@lists.debian.org
 Date: Friday, July 27, 2018, 12:58 AM

 https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-optiplex-790/specs/

 This is from 8.1 DVD:

 # cat /proc/cmdline
 lang=de video=vga16fb:off apm=power-off
 nomce hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
 BOOT_IMAGE=linux64 lang=en
 apm=power-off initrd=minirt.gz nomce
 hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
 hpet=off desktop=lxde no3d nocomposite nomce noagp
 # inxi -Gxx -c0
 Graphics:  Card: Intel 2nd
 Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics
 Controller

 bus-ID: 00:02.0 chip-ID: 8086:0102

 Display Server: X.Org 1.19.3 drivers: modesetting (unloaded:
 fbdev,vesa)

 Resolution: 1920x1200@59.95hz

 OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Desktop
 x86/MMX/SSE2

 version: 3.3 Mesa 17.2.0 (compat-v: 3.0) Direct Render: Yes

 No other combination of typed in
 cmdline parameters I've tried gets to a KDE or
 LXDE session (including "" and
 failsafe). (Gnome as a matter of principle I
 don't touch)

 Booting with 2 on cmdline works as
 expected.

 Using the exact same cmdline appendages
 as shown above for 8.1 in attempting
 with 8.2:

     INIT: Id "x1"
 respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes.

 Some other combinations got as far as
 painting the big Knoppix/Tux graphic, but
 no more. Dmesg provides no recognizable
 clues. Journalctl finds no entries.

 Same two DVDs work in various newer and
 older Intel gfx PCs here.