Latest Speech-Dispatcher breaks all speech

My apologies if this question would be more appropriate on the forums
than the mailing list, but I've forgotten my password, the password
reset page uses a vision test in place of a turing test, and I have
neither a monitor nor a sighted person to assist me.

Anyways, I'm running a customized Adriane-Knoppix based on a Hard
drive install of the latest DVD iso(7.7.1 if I remember correctly).
Most of my customizations fall into the "sudo apt-get purge stuff i
don't need" category with most of my installed software sourced from
Debian testing with the occasional dip into Unstable.

A recent upgrade for Speech-dispatcher and
speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins came out that breaks all speech, both
from SBL and from Orca on my system, if not all sound, with at least
one further upgrade since then that doesn't fix the issue. Best I can
tell, speech is lost as soon as Aptitude finishes downloading and
starts installing the upgrade, and I've found nothing short of
restoring a backup image of my root partition restores speech.
Aptitude marks about half a dozen packages as orphaned dependencies
when I mark Speech-dispatcher and speech-dispatcher-audio-plugins for
upgrade, but the problem persists even when I tell Aptitude to keep
these packages.

I suspect the problem might be related to an attempt to phase out
espeak in favor of espeak-ng as the last working version of
speech-dispatcher or an upgrade shortly before that forced
installation of espeak-ng-data, but I'm not familiar enough with what
my accessibility software is doing under the hood to know for sure.

Things are working fine at the moment, and I've yet to run into other
packages pushing out upgrades that either break the older speech
dispatcher or force its upgrade, but it bugs me to know a newer
version of a package is readily available and being unable to try it
out without rendering my system unusable, so any help in resolving
this issue would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sincerely,

Jeffery Wright
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science
President Emeritus, Nu Nu Chapter, Phi Theta Kappa.
Former Secretary, Student Government Association, College of the Albemarle.