Re: ? Request for knoppix 7.5.0

Hello,

No, it's not out yet. ;-)

Rather than providing an unrealistic release date, I'm publishing my
current Knoppix TODO list here:

KERNEL & BOOTING:
- Kernel 4.1 (or 4.2, if that's released before I'm done with Knoppix updates)
- Possibly use a signed boot loader (the Linux Foundation one?) for enabling UEFI secure boot

NEW, NEEDS WORK & TESTING:
- adding more compression algorithms to cloop (current versions support only ZIB): lzo, lz4, lzma, xz, raw
  each compressed block can be compressed differently, or stored in "raw" headerless format so save a few
  more bytes
- Version 4 format of cloop supports streaming images (header becomes footer, so the
the compressor can directly write the final read-only image) additional to header-first format

URGENT:
- Need to find a good replacement for mplayer for playing videos on the framebuffer console in ADRIANE.
  Debian removed mplayer from the repositories, but its successors mplayer2 and mpv which support directfb,
  fail to detect the console resolution in my tests, or simply crash when attempting to play a video
  on the console, all with correct flags of course. vlc works fine with the standard framebuffer plugin,
  but lacks a controlling interface (no skip/rewind/pause/quit) in console mode, which is unacceptable
  (or it's just me failing to find the flag that enables reading keyboard hotkeys from /dev/tty*).
- Also update CD+ADRIANE version of Knoppix (which may become a lot easier if there is additional space
  available due to the new cloop decompression schemes).

OTHERS:
- New wine version from upstream
- Maintain systemd workaround for script-based booting
- Resolving dependencies for recent Debian updates
- Script for time/clock adjustment (i.e. a GUI for data/hwclock/adjtime)

Because of the changes in the cloop decompressor, which is a main
feature, the new version will probably rather be 7.6 than 7.5.1.
I'm not sure yet if the new compression support is really useful in live mode,
it'll need a few benchmarks. xz compresses about 10% better than zlib+7zip, which means
400MB more space (!) on the DVD version, but needs a lot more CPU time for decompression.
I need to find out if the saved physical reading time is balanced by CPU usage on
slow computers to avoid a huge performance loss.

If someone on the list has a hint about playing videos on the
framebuffer with mpv, mplayer2 or vlc as mplayer used to do, please let
me know.

Regards
-Klaus