Re: knoppix-terminalserver doesn't work

Hello Werner,

Thanks for researching and finding the source of the bug. I had not much
time to look into it yet, but /etc/init looks wrong. Makes me wonder why
I ever used this path first place in the script. :-/

On Tue, Dec 09, 2014 at 12:33:19PM +0100, Werner P. Schulz wrote:
> Am 21.11.2014 um 19:08 schrieb Werner P. Schulz:
> >
> > With Knoppix V7.4.2 I cannot use knoppix-terminalserver. At the
> > TS client side it always stop with Kernel panic
> > /init: exec: line 1049: /etc/init: Permission denied
> >
> > Is there a way to fix this problem?
>
> Alex Schneider wrote to me the solution:
>
> The boot-option "init=/etc/init" is wrong
> (/tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/default)
> It should be "init=/sbin/init"
>
> The init-script within the old miniroot.gz-Images ended up with:
> exec /sbin/init "$@" </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
> The variable "init" from the boot-option has been ignored.
>
> Within V7.4.2 the init-script ends up with:
> exec "$init" "$@" </dev/console >/dev/console 2>&1
> and fails now using the wrong variable for "init".

The idea behind this change was the possibility to circumvent the
sysvinit boot process, and start a single program as process 1 instead.
The fact that init= was not evaluated when running from an initramfs
prior to Knoppix 7.4.2, was (IMHO) a bug rather than a feature.

> After exchange of all "init=/etc/init" with "init=/sbin/init" within the
> script "knoppix-terminalserver" all went well.

Thanks for your finding, I now fixed the path in
knoppix-terminalserver.sh and uploaded a new package to
debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org from where people can pull updates for
knoppix-specific packages. It will be included in the next (probably
update/bugfix only) release.

Regards
-Klaus