Re: LinuxProMagazine Issue137 K7.0.0 testcd

Hello Charles,

On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 07:40:48PM -0400, Charles Evans wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 23:11:54 +0200
> Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
> > In this case, I believe the question was about the DVD included in the
> > magazine, which might have had undergone some uncalculated
> > modifications.
> > Regards
> > -Klaus
> >
> > >    On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Edwin Evenson
> > >    <[1]edwin.k.evenson@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >      KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX failed sha1sum on 2 copies of this dvd.
                                             ^^^^^^^^copies like "copies",
					     or originals from the magazine?

> > >      Anyone else have this problem?
> > >      TIA
> > >      Ed
>
> Yes, I got the Linux Pro magazine,
> and sha1sum fails on the original DVD.
> BTW extract_compressed_fs also fails, always on the same block.
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^you tried this on the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX file, right?

> I even used readom to read the DVD at 2x (VERY long time)
> to an .iso file, mount -l the .iso, this also fails sha1sum
> & extract_compressed_fs, with exactly the same errors.

This indicates that indeed your magazine DVD copy is broken. Can you
check, after that error occurs, if "dmesg" shows "read errors" on
/dev/sr0? Are there any visible "holes" or "blank/dirty spots" on the
DVD surface? If one of these is the case, you can probably get a free
replacement of the defective DVD(s) from Linux Magazine.

Regards
-Klaus