Re: knoppix and audio

Hello

Laptops with 2 sound cards usually have one card digital for hdmi and second analog witch is connected to speakers.
I wonder if a startup script could find witch one is analog and then create .asoundrc file in knoppix home directory setting analog as default card

2012/9/17 Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net>
Hello Marcin,

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 10:05:59AM +0200, Marcin Lach wrote:
>    Many laptops come with 2 sounds cards. I've found that knoppix hw
>    detection works and cards are recognised, but then system marks one of
>    these card as default (what algorithm it uses for that - I don't know).
>    Often happens that default soundcard is not these witch is connected to
>    speakers and there is no audio.
>
>    Is there anything that could fix this?

It's difficult. The sequence in which cards are detected is usually
their time of detection and loading of the corresponding sound module.

There is a possibility to configure the numbering of sound slots by alsa
sound module options, but this has to be done manually. I'm looking for
a lightweigth ALSA configuration gui, the ones of gnome and KDE seems to
heavy and need all kinds of additional services started in order to run
properly. :-/

Regards
-Klaus