Re: Knoppix 7.0.3 locks up laptop with AMD Sepmron cpu

Hello JD,

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 03:33:15PM -0600, JD wrote:
>    Hi All,
>    I booted 7.0.3 on an Intel cpu laptop, and all went well.
>    However several times I tried to boot it on the AMD
>    Sempron cpu laptop, and it gets to the point where it
>    says
>    Do not remove the media until shutdown ..... etc.
>    Then after about a minute or two, a couple of the
>    LED's on the laptop (with symbol of a padlock, which
>    are used to indicate Caps lock, Num lock and Scroll lock),
>    start blinking and keybaord and power button become
>    useless. I have to unplug the power cord, and remove
>    the battery to shut it down.

This looks like a serious kernel crash. If you boot with option "debug",
you will probably see a "kernel panic" at the point where it happens. If
you got the "Do not remove the media" message before this, then it
probably happened when a driver for a specific hardware part was loaded.
Since the "power button" in modern notebooks is not really a "power
button", but rather a key that tells your OS to shut down, it becomes
unresponsive. However, most notebooks will still switch off power if you
hold down the power key for a longer time (maybe 10 seconds). The
blinking of LEDs is characteristic for some types of hardware-related
crashes.

It may be possible to circumvent the crash by special boot options, but
maybe it's easier to just try a new kernel. I'm currently preparing
Knoppix 7.0.4 with Linux kernel 3.4.9 for upload, which may solve the
problem.

Regards
-Klaus