Re: Something broke after v6.4.4

Hello Jim,

On Sat, Jun 09, 2012 at 04:51:03PM -0500, Jim Pritchett wrote:
>    v6.4.4 boots up fine and runs on my HP Pavilion a6567c (Intel Q6600 /
>    Nvidia GeForce 9300 GE.)  The later versions I've tried hang somewhere
>    near the end.  I think sometimes it hangs when X launches, but sometimes
>    it is sooner depending on which cheat code I use.  I've tried the cheat
>    codes I've used to get knoppix running on problem machines, but no joy.
>    I've tried the debug option, but I don't understand enough of how things
>    work to solve this.
>
>    What changed after 6.4.4 that would make it hang during bootup on my
>    computer?  I'm booting from DVDs if that matters.

My best guess is: Hardware support got better. In previous versions,
your graphics card may have been unsupported, which means that the
generic vesa or framebuffer driver was used. In newer versions, we added
support for NVidia and ATI chips in native/accelerated mode, which would
otherwise have required proprietary drivers in order to work in full
resolution and speed.

Especially NVidia chipsets are problematic. Some cards work extremely
well with the free nouveau graphics drivers, while others just cause
freezes or halt the system as soon as graphics should start up. Youd
card may be such a problem case. They are rare, though, because I did my
best to blacklist cards which are known not to work, for which the vesa
of framebuffer drivers are used again.

You could try:

knoppix xmodule=fbdev
(Card-specific framebuffer more, only the detected best resolution is supported).

fb1280x1024
(Caution: NO Knoppix at the beginning! This is the generic vesa framebuffer mode
in 1280x1024. If you like 1024x768 better, use fb1024x768)

knoppix nocomposite no3d
(Just removes composite and 3D capabilities and use a flat 2D desktop, sometimes
a good intermediate solution which is still accelerated and allows resolution
switching)

knoppix nomodeset (or nodrm)
(Disables the accellerated modes, but most drivers won't work then and
the system will end up using vesa).

>    Thanks,
>
>                 Jim

Please let me know if any of these boot cheatcodes works for you.

If you have two different graphics chipsets in your computer, the intel
("Powersave") one is preferable.  So there is one more cheatcode you
cound try:

knoppix xmodule=intel

Regards
-Klaus