Something broke after v6.4.4

v6.4.4 boots up fine and runs on my HP Pavilion a6567c (Intel Q6600 / Nvidia GeForce 9300 GE.)  The later versions I've tried hang somewhere near the end.  I think sometimes it hangs when X launches, but sometimes it is sooner depending on which cheat code I use.  I've tried the cheat codes I've used to get knoppix running on problem machines, but no joy.  I've tried the debug option, but I don't understand enough of how things work to solve this.

What changed after 6.4.4 that would make it hang during bootup on my computer?  I'm booting from DVDs if that matters.

Thanks,

             Jim

No electrons were harmed in the making of this sig. Relocated? Yes. Harmed? No. Thank you for caring for the welfare of our precious electrons.