Re: Ntfsclone in knoppix 7.0.2

Hello Josep,

On Thu, Jun 07, 2012 at 10:09:45AM +0200, Josep M. wrote:
> Hello.
>
> In Knoppix 6.7.1 and 7.0 ntfsclone was installed and running perfect, now
> is removed from 7.0.2 version. There is any other tool in Knoppix 7.0.2
> that can restore ntfs images saved with ntfsclone?

It's a known bug: Debian has removed all actual ntfsprogs from the
ntfsprogs package, and put them into ntfs-3g instead. However, Knoppix
used a newer version of ntfs-3g(-ng) in 6.7.1, which contained only the
ntfs-3g mount command, but not the ntfsprogs utils (which are unrelated
tools), and this package was not updated. So, we ended up in having NO
ntfsprogs anymore in 7.0.2 without even noticing until someone reported
ntfsresize missing.

It's easy to fix, though. Quoted from the 7.0.2 release notes at
http://knopper.net/knoppix/knoppix702-en.html :

 sudo aptitude update
 sudo apt-get install -t unstable ntfs-3g ntfs-3g-ng-

 (Caution: The "-" at the end of the second command is actually important
 for removing the old ntfs-3g-ng package, which does not contain the
 programs.)

If you use Knoppix installed on a >= 8GB USB flash disk with an overlay
(which I highly recommend), the fix is permanent.

Regards
-Klaus