Re: Re: Re: LinuxProMagazine Issue137 K7.0.0 testcd

Hi Klaus and Gilles
When I run the same command as you tried, using the live dvd from Linux Magazine I get the same exact output, so I guess it is the dvd that is at fault rather than my dvd drive as the magazine suggested in reply to my email querying the error message I got when i tried a hd install.

in root terminal

tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files4.txt | dd of=/dev/null

gives output:

tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
tar: /KNOPPIX/dev/log: socket ignored
tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/amd64-mingw32msvc/bin/strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strings: File shrank by 65932 bytes; padding with zeros tar: /KNOPPIX/usr/bin/amd64-mingw32msvc-strip: Read error at byte 0, while reading 2560 bytes: Input/output error
tar: /KNOPPIX/var/run/samba/winbindd_privileged/pipe: socket ignored
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Maybe the fact that the errors relate to 64 bit processors and samba could explain why I have had absolutely no problems with running Knoppix 7.0 as a hd install on an old 32bit Compaq Presario (and not using samba). In practice it seems to work as beautifully and quickly as always on my old system. So far anyway.
Best wishes, John