Re: Re: LinuxProMagazine Issue137 K7.0.0 testcd

Hi Klaus and other,
I have the same problem with a magazine DVD comming from UK (a friend mailed it to me). I used dd to create an ISO file from the DVD and no read error were reported but the /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX sha1 hash also failed the test as I reported in the Knoppix forum:
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/29754-Knoppix-7.0-Same-procedure-as-every-year!?p=126471#post126471
How can I help besides runing the test you just mentioned. I will do it tonight from from home. BTW, if it is not too late I would like to suggest some small changes to your init boot script. You can extract it from my custom minirt (follow thhe link below) or I can just email a patch if you prefer.
http://knoppix.net/forum/threads/11589-ISO-boot-from-FAT-NTFS-USB-%28GRUB.exe-grldr-from-boot.ini%29?p=126465#post126465
Best Regards,
Gilles

At 12:06 PM 4/11/2012, Klaus Knopper wrote:
Hello Ed & List,

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 02:16:43PM +0000, Evenson, Ed (IS) wrote:
>    Klaus,
>
> I purchased a special order copy of LinuxProMagazine ­ bad dvd ­ asked for
>    replacement ­ replacement dvd also failed testcd.
>
>    I purchased a second copy of LinuxProMagazine ­ again bad dvd.
>
>    3 cover dvds failed ­ I believe that they are all bad on the US edition.
This is bad news. :-(

I guess that something went wrong in the DVD manufacturing.

>    All 3 disks failed with the same KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX sha1sum ­ ending with
>    8c5c as reported in other posts.

Can you narrow down the location of the defect, maybe identify files
that are broken inside the compressed image?

Fortunately, the cloop block device is quite robust against physical
read errors, i.e. it can continue on followup blocks even if one is
defective. If we are lucky, it is still possible to work with the DVD if
no essential system file or library is broken.

Unfortunately, I do not have a copy of the magazine US edition
available, just the working original ISO files.

A test for broken files could be the following (on a booted Knoppix DVD):

sudo tar cf - /KNOPPIX/ 2> broken-files.txt | dd of=/dev/null

broken-files.txt afterwards contains the names of all files with i/o errors.

Please do not use
sudo tar cf /dev/null ...
or
sudo tar cf - >/dev/null ...

since tar is smart enough to detect the fact that it is writing to the
null file, and will then just scan the file headers, not the contents.

If the broken file list is not too large (<10k), please post it to the
list, otherwise please send it directly to me.

In the best case, it's just one block that it is defective.

In the worst case, everything starting from a certain sector is
unreadable.

>    The real solution to this problem is to put K7.0.1 on the mirrors so we
>    can grab KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX from that iso.

Sorry, I'm not finished with the download edition yet, there are still
some changes and updates (especially kernel-3.3 related) ahead, plus the
CD editions for Knoppix and Adriane which I would like to publish in
parallel.

The magazine edition on the other hand contains the KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX1
file with proprietary programs (flash, acroread, ...) for which the
license does not allow free redistribution, so I cannot just upload the
original image.

Regards
-Klaus