Re: usb Copy Knoppix 7

Bugzilla from martin@mhwelsh.force9.co.uk wrote:

> I have loaded a usb memory stick using flash-knoppix but it will not
> start the computer.
>
> Are there any known files or folders that I can examine to establish
> that it has a valid image.
>
> Are there any simple procedures for adding an mbr.
>
> The computer bios seems to go in OK but the start up process stops when
> the bios selects the Knoppix usb stick.
>
> Other live usb sticks will start the computer quite happily.
>

> martin welsh
>

> --

Hi,

my usb key has 2 partitions, knoppix is in the second ext2 one.
I put grub legacy in the mbr and the situation is this:

A dir "boot" with the kernel ( linux ), minirt, memdisk, memtest and the
grub directory.
A dir KNOPPIX with KNOPPIX cloop, the dir "modules", knoppix.sh

My grub menu.lst:

Default   1
timeout   10
root (hd0,0)
background 68130f
foreground dcbe19
#color light-cyan/blue black/green
splashimage=/boot/grub/bio.xpm.gz
#add vmalloc=512M x swap in the video card

title     MRS
kernel    /boot/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=it
apm=power-off libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
desktop=xfce4 vga=791 nocache noprompt noeject nomce  BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd    /boot/minirt.gz
boot

title     MRS nella RAM
kernel    /boot/linux ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=it
apm=power-off libata.force=noncq hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1 loglevel=1
desktop=xfce4 vga=791 nocache  nomce noprompt noeject  toram
BOOT_IMAGE=knoppix
initrd    /boot/minirt.gz
boot

I use xfce, omit desktop=xfce4 if you use another DM.

In an old computer I had to use syslinux and fat32.
In a dell "vostro" computer sylinux+fat doesn't work ;-)
You can check file integrity with md5sum ( md5sum /boot/minirt.gz for
example) against the original ( cd/dvd ) files

Cheers

Max