Re: Knoppix 6.2 and Windows XP quagmire...

On 05/30/11 06:10, Pierre Déom wrote:

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 12:42 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
On 05/29/11 09:26, Pierre Déom wrote:

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
On 05/28/11 10:07, Pierre Déom wrote:
Thanks, but if you see 6.5 in there I will buy you a beer.

The highest version I see is 6.4.4 .

:-)

Pierre

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:56 PM, JD <jd1008@gmail.com> wrote:
On 05/28/11 07:33, Pierre Déom wrote:

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 7:21 PM, Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> wrote:
probably older than your computer, I would recommend trying 6.4.4 or
6.5 which have never kernels and hardware support.

Is 6.5 out yet?  I mean available for download?
I looked for it last week, and could not find it.
I was expecting an announcement here on this list.

Thanks,

Pierre

http://www.kernel.org/pub/dist/knoppix-dvd/

I am downloading it now via bittorrent.
It is from a Russian site - so I believe it is not English.
If you want to download it from the torrent, the file is
attached.

Cheers,

JD

Ok, thanks, I will try it anyway just by curiosity.

Thank you,

Pierre

When you boot it, then at the
boot prompt, type
linux lang=en

During boot, it will hang at the output
message:
Waiting for udev to ...(something..) I forgot the rest of the message.

So, after about 1 minute at  that message, type Cntrl-C
and it will boot all the way to level 5.

It is a very minor bug in the shell script that starts udev daemon.

Please let me know if it worked for you.

Hi JD,

It worked fine on my Latitude D600 with no hang at udev,
but even with the 'lang=us' everything stayed in Russian (So I guessed :-) )
(beautiful alphabet BTW)

I am happy to have had a glimpse of what's coming though.

Thanks,

Pierre

You can fix that too.
Unfortunately, I do not know the sure fire steps to do this on Linux,
simply because I do not know how many sectors of the DVD comprise
the boot. So I resorted to a windows util that can do it.

How to use MagicISO to edit ISO files.

So, the file you will need to edit with the above utility is
/etc/environment

In that file, carefully replace every occurrence of ru with en
and every occurrence of RU with EN   and save it.

then create a new ISO which will contain the edited file.

If you prefer any other language, you will have to use the 2 letter
name of that language, such as  fr and FR  for French.
Pls let me know if you were successful :)

Cheers,

JD