Knoppix 6.2 and Windows XP quagmire...

...and I don't mean the pervert from 'Family Guy' either!

Okay, so I have an XP Pro install and I am getting the BSOD (big surprise).
I want to see if I can at *least* recover my data on the disk and then I
am going to wipe it and put something else on there (Ubuntu, Debian,
Fedora) which I have been meaning to do for quite some time.

So, I have Knoppix 6.2 and I was able to boot with it. Now I am having
trouble identifying the hard drive. In the 'dmesg' output, I can see :
ata1: SATA link up 1.5 Gbps but I cannot see the drive in the device list.

So, how would I identify the drive and mount it so I can at least get
all of my important stuff off of there before I send XP back to that
Great Gig In The Sky?

Thanks