Re: Bugs and wishlist

Hello Albert,

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 01:53:15AM +0700, Альберт Раянов wrote:
>    1. Missing feature: US keyboard layout is not available after load.

See below.

>    2. Bug: virtual keyboard does not close.

I did this on purpose, i.e. the bug is on me. ;-)

The virtual keyboard automatically opens when no real keyboard is
detected. In this mode, I thought that it should not be possible to
close the virtual keyboard (accidentially), since you would end up
having no keyboard.  You can iconify the virtual keyboard, though, or
kill it using "xkill" if it really annoys you.

>    3. Bug: NTFS driver shows filenames with �?� signs instead of national
>    symbols.

Which language did you boot in?

With lang=de and lang=us, Knoppix uses isolatin1, which is probably used
by ntfs-3g the, too, instead of utf8. You can mount the filesystem
setting a utf8 aware locale first:

LANG=en_US.UTF-8 LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8 ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/sda1

>    4. Bug: applications do not process filenames with spaces. E.g. I open
>    "/media/flash/Some document.pdf" and got a message like file
>    "/media/flash/Some" does not exist.

This is a bug in the pcmanfm file manager, strangely unnoticed yet. :-(

>    5. Grumble: effects for e.g. close of window are very, very beautiful, but
>    when I see them more than e.g. 5 times, it starts to annoy.

No prob. Change them in the "Animations" plugin in the "CompizConfig
Configuration Manager" (menu "Preferences", or "ccsm" in the shell).

>    I absolutely understand that experienced user will call setxkb, killall
>    kxvkb, mount -t ntfs-3g all his NTFS drives, open documents from console
>    and customize compiz effects. But newbie will not, so I want Knoppix to be
>    better for newbies:
>    1. US keyboard layout default despite loaded language. If not � at least
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Would it not be confusing
     to boot in german language and get an US keyboard layout? Or did I misunderstand
     your question?

The english Image (KNOPPIX...-EN.iso) boots with US keyboard by default.

>    make it available and switchable via common shortcuts like Alt+Shift but
>    not Ctrl+Shift+K.

I did not change the default switching hotkey. Almost everything is the
default setting.

>    2. kxvkb should be tested for closeability.

xvkbd? You probably mean this. Sorry, again, this was on purpose, but
I'm no longer sure if it is really needed.

>    3. NTFS driver should be ready to show filenames from locale which is
>    specified by user to boot loader.

Actually, it should have been doing this already.

>    4. All applications should have quotes at filenames in launch commands,
>    e.g. ooffice "%1" (I don't know how exactly is at knoppix)

I'm just using the default of LXDE. It seems to be an upstream error.

>    5. Take more care for selection of effects. I thought that Knoppix is
>    serious system for serious tasks but not only for demonstrating of
>    compiz's beauty.

Actually, some of the effects seem quite useful for me in order to give
visual feedback for actions that you just initiated, like the wobbly
effect on window maximize, the "explosion" effect for windows being
closed vs. the "folding" effect for iconification. Its easier to
distinguish what realls happened. I'm also using the "fold window
corner" effect quite often to peek behind a window without changing its
position.

>    KNOPPIX_V6.4.4CD-2011-01-30-EN.iso, booted with option �knoppix lang=ru
>    toram�

I was missing that part yet, so you say in lang=ru, it should use
the US keyboard, right?

These are the settings for ru:
COUNTRY="ru"; LANG="ru_RU.KOI8-R"; KEYTABLE="ru"; XKEYBOARD="ru"; KDEKEYBOARD="ru"; CHARSET="koi8-r"; CONSOLEFONT="Cyr_a8x16"; KDEKEYBOARDS="de(nodeadkeys),us,fr"; TZ="Europe/Moscow"

Can you tell me which ones should be changed?

Regards
-Klaus