Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale

Okay, erst wägen, dann wagen, here are the attachments.

Milan

--

Hello Klaus,

I finally resolved the matter, it required quite an effort to put the
various pieces of documentation together - in general, not in
Knoppix :-).

See below for further comments.

V Tue, 27 Dec 2011 16:53:31 +0100
Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> napsáno:

> Hello Milan,
>
> On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 04:23:23PM +0100, Milan Knížek wrote:
> > I used (in various order):
> >
> > x setupcon + its configuration files /etc/default/console-setup
> > and /etc/default/keyboard. (CHARMAP=UTF-8, CODESET=Lat2,
> > FONTFACE=Terminus, FONTSIZE=16)

Probably not needed at all.

> > x unicode_start
>
> unicode_start is correct, also, you could remove the default boot
> option "vt.default_utf8=0" from syslinux.cfg.

Yup, this is anyway set by knoppix-autoconfig as long as LANG includes
"UTF-8".

> > x loadkeys -u cz-us-qwertz
> > x consolechars -f Lat2-Terminus16
>
> Isn't Lat2-Terminus16 an isolatin font, NOT an UTF-8 font?
>
> The Unicode console fonts start, as far as, I know, with "Uni...".

Despite the misleading name, Lat2 are also unicode fonts (and
actually work better, for the use of Uni2 lead to temporarily
distorted text during boot).

> > I looked up the font setup in my Arch linux and Debian install.
> >
> > Could it be because Knoppix does not have something relating to
> > UTF-8 compiled in the console tools?
>
> Knoppix just uses the standard Debian console tools. I try to avoid
> forking packages to stay compatible in Debian. Just the startup
> process differs, in order to have working safe fallbacks in case
> something fails to start in "optimal" mode.

The trouble was that bash in console did not have the LC_* variables
setup. Bash is sourcing /etc/profile, but that one was left untouched
by knoppix-autoconfig. Also, in order to see the the accented
characters one must set not only LANG, but also LC_ALL (or some
part of its subset could be enough).

I am attaching the updated /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
and /etc/profile - some of the changes may not be so "proper", however
it should give you an idea of what I had to change.

Thanks for your responses and keep up the good work on Knoppix!

regards,
Milan

--
http://www.milan-knizek.net/
About linux and photography (Czech only)