Re: Knoppix 6.7.1 DVD EN - problem with Czech locale

Hello Milan,

On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 04:23:23PM +0100, Milan Knížek wrote:
> V Tue, 27 Dec 2011 00:28:53 +0100
> Klaus Knopper <debian-knoppix@knopper.net> napsáno:
>
> > Hello Milan.
>
> Hello Klaus,
>

> > On Tue, Dec 27, 2011 at 12:06:20AM +0100, Milan Knížek wrote:
>
> > I'm not entirely sure about the console charset. If switching to UTF-8
> > for X, I should do this for the text console, too. Is
> > CONSOLEFONT="iso02g" still correct then?
>
> Well, I played a bit with the console font and keyboard setup in
> Knoppix and have to say I was not able to get the accented characters
> displayed correctly. (Nothing actually appears at all when
> typing. When displaying an existing text in UTF-8 the question marks
> are shown instead of the accented chars.)
>
> I used (in various order):
>
> x setupcon + its configuration files /etc/default/console-setup
> and /etc/default/keyboard. (CHARMAP=UTF-8, CODESET=Lat2,
> FONTFACE=Terminus, FONTSIZE=16)
>
> x unicode_start

unicode_start is correct, also, you could remove the default boot option
"vt.default_utf8=0" from syslinux.cfg.

> x loadkeys -u cz-us-qwertz
> x consolechars -f Lat2-Terminus16

Isn't Lat2-Terminus16 an isolatin font, NOT an UTF-8 font?

The Unicode console fonts start, as far as, I know, with "Uni...".

> I looked up the font setup in my Arch linux and Debian install.
>
> Could it be because Knoppix does not have something relating to
> UTF-8 compiled in the console tools?

Knoppix just uses the standard Debian console tools. I try to avoid
forking packages to stay compatible in Debian. Just the startup process
differs, in order to have working safe fallbacks in case something fails
to start in "optimal" mode.

Regards
-Klaus