Re: Maybe I need a better video card? Editing xorg.conf?

--- On Wed, 9/28/11, Andrew <knoppix@rngresearch.com> wrote:

> I think I will give an Intel or Radeon card a try, but if I
> can't reduce
> the the number of tasks on the task bar to only those on
> the current
> viewport, I will probably go "no3d", anyway.

I use an intel but it is not problem free either. I can't say my problem is unique to me or it's also seen by others, because it might be a unique hardware problem which I have, or a unique customized combination of software which I have loaded.

Basically from time to time the graphics will go dead. Sometimes I could go to text by ctrl-alt-F2 but sometimes I can't do it. I am pretty sure the kernel is still running because when I hit power button the notebook will go into shutdown sequence.

Also I switch monitor a lot. At work, I connect an external monitor to the notebook and it has higher resolution. At home I use back the internal LCD screen. Switching displays (different resolutions) without rebooting often gives me all kind of display mis-behavior. Often I have to resort to rebooting.