Re: Maybe I need a better video card? Editing xorg.conf?

Dear Klaus,

Thanks so much for the suggestion, but

> sudo aptitude update
> sudo aptitude install -t unstable nvidia-kernel-dkms nvidia-glx
> nvidia-settings

didn't work out. :(  After unpacking the kernel source in /usr/src and
reinstalling the packages, things were still not right:
 The mouse tracking seemed right, but the middle button (2) didn't work
(on two test mice), menu items vanished on mouse-over (reappearing
afterwards) and all the windows' buttons lacked outlines, even the
lxsession-logout dialog.

I think I will give an Intel or Radeon card a try, but if I can't reduce
the the number of tasks on the task bar to only those on the current
viewport, I will probably go "no3d", anyway.

Regards,
Andrew

> was sufficient to get the proprietary nvidia drivers up and running. It
should work with a flash-installed DVD version of Knoppix, using the
overlay feature.
>> I think it would be much simpler to buy a new Knoppix-friendly video card
>> and let the autoconfig do its thing.
> For "political" reasons, I usually return any hardware that does not run
well with free software to the vendor as a warranty case.
> Most graphics chipsets built by Intel (with exception of GMA500) work
well with current versions of xorg/compiz and have low power
> consumption. Most ATI/AMD Radeon cards also run well, with a few
exceptions. As a general rule, chances are best to have full
> acceleration support with free drivers for cheaper graphics card models,
rather than cards which have computing power and power consumption
several times higher than the rest of the computer and require special
drivers under other operating systems as well.
> I would just buy whatever is available in your nearest computer store,
and make sure that you can return it in case it does not work
> out-of-the-box under Linux. The vendor has no right to demand you using
a certain operating system in order to get his hardware running, no
matter which is "recommended" on the box.