Re: Knoppix searching for CD / knoppix image in wrong place

Hello Chris,

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 02:03:52PM -0400, chris wrote:
>    Hello,
>    When booting knoppix, �it gets to "Searching for knoppix 6 in: /dev/sda"
>    when my cdrom is actually sr0, how can i specify this to knoppix at the
>    kernel commandline boot prompt?

Actually, the Knoppix boot sequence will first try SATA/PATA and USB
Flashdisks, and then continue with the CD/DVD drives connected as
/dev/sr* or /dev/scd*.

>From what you wrote, I guess that for some reason, the script hangs at
/dev/sda because there is no master drive connected, yet the port was
enabled in the BIOS. It should, however, continue after a (possibly very
long) SATA/IDE timeout, and then find the CD-Rom.

You can speed up the procedure by specifying the device containing
Knoppix:

knoppix fromhd=/dev/sr0

("fromhd" is primarily meant for booting from a copy of the CD content
from harddisk, hence the name, but you can use it here for directly
specifying the DVD drive containing the KNOPPIX directory).

>    I tried some of the options from
>    [1]http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes like atapicd but no luck
>    I am not a member of this list so please include me in any responses
>    Thanks,
>    chris

Please let me know is the above method works für you.

Regards
Klaus