Re: memtest crashes with too much RAM

Hello Andrew,

On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 01:58:18PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Dear Klaus et al,
>
> This is not really a Knoppix-specific problem, but memtest is one of the
> most useful parts of Knoppix for me.  I was delighted that the 64-bit
> kernel in 6.4.4 was recognizing memory in excess of 3.25 GB, but I am very
> disappointed that memtest is still crashing.

I fetched memtest directly from the upstream website,
http://www.memtest.org/ , and did not change anything. Maybe we need a
different vesion for >= 4GB?

> As systems are generally getting bigger, this is becoming a bigger problem
> (for me, anyway).  Aside from the obvious "solution" of pulling all the
> memory and installing and testing them 2GB at a time, is there something
> else already in knoppix that I could use?

Actually, I found some memory problems that were not detected by
memtest, regardless of the ram size, by just copying and checksumming
files inside the ramdisk. A few bytes will not be checked, which are
used by the kernel itself.

Scheme:

1. Create big file from /dev/urandom inside ramdisk.
2. Copy file to second file (ram should be filled up as much as possible).
3. checksum both files and compare.
4. Repeat with high system load, i.e. multiple instances of "ping -f localhost &".

I catched some refresh rate problems especially with step #4.

If you know a memtest version that works better than the one we have in
Knoppix rght now, please let me know.

Regards
-Klaus