memtest crashes with too much RAM

Dear Klaus et al,

This is not really a Knoppix-specific problem, but memtest is one of the
most useful parts of Knoppix for me.  I was delighted that the 64-bit
kernel in 6.4.4 was recognizing memory in excess of 3.25 GB, but I am very
disappointed that memtest is still crashing.

As systems are generally getting bigger, this is becoming a bigger problem
(for me, anyway).  Aside from the obvious "solution" of pulling all the
memory and installing and testing them 2GB at a time, is there something
else already in knoppix that I could use?

Thanks!
-Andrew