Re: naming convention: loopX

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 09:58:38PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> I was particularly considering Klaus's /init script which relies on the
> name "/dev/loop0" for knoppix-data, and the fact that earlier versions of
> knoppix did not have the /dev/loop/ directory.

Well, frankly, I am unsure whether /dev/loop/X or /dev/loopX is more
"correct". With older devfs, it seemed that /dev/loop/X was the way to
go for, but currently udev does not even create any blockdev nodes in
/dev for loop at all. Because of that, I added /dev/loop0 as well as
/dev/loop/0 as static files, in order to catch both naming conventions.

For manually assigning files with losetup, the device name is not
relevant, only the major and minor device numbers matter. I wasn't aware
of the fact that "mount" could get in trouble with automatic loopback
device claiming.

If asked which one I prefer, this would be /dev/loop0 instead of
/dev/loop/0 , but just because it saves one letter to type. ;-)

I don't think we actually use /dev/loop/X in any script, rather than
/dev/loopX, so I would also tend to just delete the /dev/loop directory
with its contents, unless someone knows a reason why this is wrong.

Regards
-Klaus