Re: mount: could not find any free loop device

--- On Thu, 7/21/11, cvevans <cvevans@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> OTOH creating /dev/loop/1 to
> /dev/loop/100 solves the mount failure,
> and you have 100 loop devices without cluttering /dev.
> as root:
>
> for i in `seq 1 100`; do mknod /dev/loop/$i b 7 $i; done
>
> cvevans

Oh no, everywhere the documentation has already use the /dev/loopX as the naming convention, are we going to go "reverse gear" and use back the /dev/loop/X naming convention ?

'mount' is trying to be backward compatible by detecting the presence of old naming convention. That does not mean a whole bunch of old device file names have to be created.

The original poster has already suggested a clean fix.
Remove /dev/loop directory and move on !