Re: knoppix-halt doesn't shut down network

Hello Andrew,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 05:40:03AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Dear Klaus et al,
>
> As I briefly mentioned in another post, /etc/init.d/knoppix-halt does not
> shut down the network.  However, I'm not so sure knoppix-halt _should_
> shut it down.
>
> So far, I haven't experienced any problems as a consequence of never
> shutting down the network prior to poweroff or reboot.  On the other hand,
> "ifdown -a" brings down lo, which seems to cause some problems.

Shutting down network devices before shutting down all network services
can cause problems, yes. The main benefits of shutting down the network
subsystem properly could be:

1. Giving back the DHCP lease before it expires. Well, this is the job
of the dhcp client, which will get a signal to do so when the network is
shut down with the appropriate scripts.

2. Reset of the network state by removal of PID or state files. In
theory, this is not necessary when these files remain on the ramdisk, or
are deleted in the boot procedure.

3. If the computer fails to shutdown completely for any reason, network
devices could be left in a pingable state, which incorrectly reports
this computer as "up and running" to network monitoring services.

...probably more.

> I think this error should be corrected, but perhaps the correction may be
> to have knoppix-halt intentionally leave the network up (instead of
> accidentally doing so).
>
> Any thoughts on this matter?

I tend to agree. :-)

Regards