Re: Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

Am Donnerstag, 30. Juni 2011 schrieb Martin Oehler:
> Hello,
>
> On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 12:06:28PM +0200, Capri Corny wrote:
> >      >I am interested, though: what applications do you find benefit
> >
> >      greatly
> >
> >      >from the 64-bit kernel?  And how much RAM do you need to have
> >
> >      installed to
> >
> >      >make the switch to 64-bits pay off?
> >
> >    I have 2-5 important use cases right now:
> >
> >    1. R with large (3+ GB) data.   Needs 64 bits.
> >    2. Vmware Workstation running 64-bits guests, Win7 for example.
> >    Needs 64 bits to run well.
> >    3. Image processing/editing.  Benefits from 64 bits.
> >    4. Tasks like MCMC (Markov Chain Monte Carlo).  Faster computing,
> >    easier workflow.
> >    5. Possibly databases - here I am more unsure.
>
>      6. Being able to chroot into a 64 bit system for rescue
> operations.
>
> This was the main reason to add the 64 bit kernel since 64 bit Linux
> installations on servers are very usual nowadays. The performance
> increase having a 64 bit userland is not that big to make up for the
> work of building and testing two Knoppix releases.

Now thats a reason I consider important for a Live Linux CD.

Okay, no body stops anybody from installing Knoppix to harddisk / SSD and
using it as a permanent operating system, but I would use a regular Debian
GNU/Linux installation for that. I usually would reinstall such a
permanent Linux often. I did a reinstallation when I switched to 64-bit,
but my 32-bit laptops use the same Debian linux installation that I just
copied over.