Re: Best way to proceed for a 64-bits version of Knoppix?

Am Dienstag, 28. Juni 2011 schrieb Capri Corny:
> > >I am interested, though: what applications do you find benefit
> > >greatly from the 64-bit kernel?  And how much RAM do you need to
> > >have installed to make the switch to 64-bits pay off?
>
> I have 2-5 important use cases right now:
>
> 1. R with large (3+ GB) data.   Needs 64 bits.
> 2. Vmware Workstation running 64-bits guests, Win7 for example. Needs
> 64 bits to run well.
> 3. Image processing/editing.  Benefits from 64 bits.
> 4. Tasks like MCMC (Markov Chain Monte Carlo).  Faster computing,
> easier workflow.
> 5. Possibly databases - here I am more unsure.
>
> Normally, one would not use Knoppix for such tasks.  But things aren't
> that normal anymore. :-)

Why do you use a Live CD Linux for this and not just a Debian Squeeze or
what?

GRML comes in a 32- *and* in a 64-bit flavor. But then the biggest GRML
form factor is a CD. The Knoppix DVD can hold quite a lot more packages
which would have to be built for 64-bit in order for a full 64-bit linux.