many strange things happening in 6.4.3

Running within Virtualbox.
doing ls /UIONFS/lib  emits tons of error messages
that I am unable to copy and paste into the host
OS Gnome-Terminal. Well, that's OK  as far as copy and paste
because there is a problem with sharing the copy buffer between
host and guest.
But the errors within Knoppix are strange.
All commands in /usr/bin simply belch out
Input/Output error. That's it.
No other error message.
Attempting to change the font of gnome-terminal
ultimately killed all responsiveness. I could no longer
interact with the booted OS. All I could do was to
halt the guest OS (i.e. Knoppix) via the virtual machine
manager.

So, my experience with this release so far has been
rather disappointing.
To be fair, I will attempt to boot on the hardware machine itself
and see if I can replicate these problems.

I had thought I had ram problems. So I ran x86mem tester.
Let it run for hours. No errors.

Will report back after I reboot into real hardware.

Cheers,

JD