Re: dmesg.log

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 01:36:30PM -0800, jonr@destar.net wrote:
> >If you made a USB flashdisk for booting, you can delete
> >/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf to restore the original behaviour of logging to
> >files in /var/log.
>
> Perfect, Thanks Klaus. Is there a way you could maybe just do a boot
> up dmesg.log? Or maybe give a way to capture the 12th console to a
> file rather than having to create a USB boot disk? This would be
> helpful for using Knoppix to troubleshoot hardware issues.

Actually, for debugging, you may want to try

knoppix debug

as boot option, which will display kernel messages with the full debug
log, and drop you to a shell at various critical steps in the boot
process, so you can debug the boot process quite easily.

Unfortunately, I did not think of adding a boot option for saving the
kernel boot log yet, but if you boot with "debug", you can just change
/etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig or easier, delete
/etc/syslog-knoppix.conf before init even starts.

> If not no worries. Thanks for all the work you do I have used your
> livecd for years now and have recommended it countless times over
> the years.

Thanks for testing and reporting bugs. As you can see, there is still a
lot of room for improvement. :-)

Regards
-Klaus