Re: /home on flash disk

Hello Daryl,

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 02:17:10PM -0400, Daryl Styrk wrote:
>    I've installed 6.2.1 from DVD to a 4G flash disk. However on the first
>    boot of the disk I was not prompted with the option to use the remaining
>    free space as a home folder. Is there a way to manually call on that
>    script again?

If there is less than 200MB free, the question will not appear. This
200MB limit is really an arbitrary value in my initrd startscript, since
I assumed that if using an overlay, the user would expect it being
possible to at least run aptitude update without an "out-of-disk-space"
error message.

However, you can still create an overlay file manually with the size of
the entire remaining space (max. 4GB per file on FAT32):

1. mount the KNOPPIX flashdisk, for example at /media/sda1

2. create a file:
   dd if=/dev/zero of=/media/sda1/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img bs=1M
   (The command will exit when the flashdisk is full).
3. Format the overlay as ext2 virtual disk:
   mke2fs -F -m0 /media/sda1/KNOPPIX/knoppix-data.img

Now, the overlay should be detected and used on next boot.

Regards
-Klaus