Re: To make /dev/sdb2 as read and write access

Dear SMS,

On the second partition is ext2, which means that you can (and probably
should) change the partitions permissions after mount in order to allow
write access for users. Since you formatted this partition as root with
root-only write permission, you can change this as root, once the
partition is mounted.

sudo chmod a=rwx /media/sdb2

Please note that you need to change permissions of the mounted partition
directory, not of the device file in /dev or the unmounted directory.

After this change, users can create files which will be owned by them,
and they can manage their own permissions in order to allow or disallow
access for others. Unlike DOS/FAT, file permissions on ext2 are
per-user, not per-drive.

This is a one-time change, no configuration files have to be modified.
:-)

If you want to do this recursively for all existing files and
directories on the drive that you may have added as root already, add
the "-R" (capital R) option as in:

chmod -R a+rwX /media/sdb2

Note the +, which ADDS missing permissions only, and the capital X,
which only sets "exectutable" if there is already an executable
permission set for the files or dirctories owner. That way, you don't
accidentially mark non-executable files as executable.