Re: post knoppix-installer

On 2008/08/11 16:02 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata apparently typed:

> I had a HD install of 4.x, and wanted something rather newer. I didn't have
> space for junk, so I chose the 5.1.1 CD instead of a newer DVD. I did it
> twice. Both times gave me an almost good install, but with a crucially broken
> MC. Ctrl-O does not work, which is just not acceptable, even though it works
> fine booted from CD.

> So, I tried apt-get update. On the first install, trying apt-get upgrade mc
> on tty1 tried to upgrade way too many packages to count. So I tried apt-get
> install mc, and it only wanted to install 20+ packages, including upgrading
> some and removing others. I let it go, but after a while it told me I needed
> to restart some stuff, offering a default option to interrupt the upgrade to
> restart the services. When I tried to restart, dep hell broke loose, so I
> rebooted and re-did knoppix installer.

> Second time I did apt-get update from tty3, but then after that finished I
> started KDE to let Synaptic sort through the deps. It went basically the same
> up to the recommended interrupt point, at which I am now, wondering what to
> do. Any recommendations, since what it wants to restart is KDM and I have no
> idea how to get Synaptic to restart from where it left off?

After waiting 5+ hours with no reply here, I told it to proceed. That seems
to have succeeded, except that the broken mc behavior remains. Error message
on the tty where mc is running when I do Ctrl-o is:

Cannot open master side of pty: No such file or directory (2). Anyone know
how to fix it? When the error occurs, it is as if Ctrl-o had again been
struck, exiting the normal bash shell back to mc without any opportunity to
use the shell.

I've never had this problem with any version of mc on any distro before. The
bulletproof dependability of mc is my main reason to choose Knoppix when I
need a live CD. This failure only HD installed is a major bummer. :-(
--
"Love is not easily angered. Love does not demand
its own way."			1 Corinthians 13:5 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/