knoppix side projects

Hi everyone,

Ok. Recently I tried to ad lm-sensors to my persistent image. I messed
up. I read the install and the readme. did a make all; make install as
su. I wound up with no sound and a nasty message in dmesg.

So I created a new persistent home. Moved my browser settings back to
the new image file, knoppix.img and was back in business. Kinda. Then
I began to wish I had made a temporary knoppix.img file and just tried
it out before adding to my real one.
Since I just renamed the old one I can still go back to it to see what
I did wrong.

That thing made me realize there is a usefulness to these persistent
homes I had not ever thought of. Create 2 img files and compare them
for files added and modified.

1 Using a stock CD bootup of knoppix, make a baseline knoppix.img.
2 Reboot into it using all 3 default options.
3 Now shutdown.
4 Boot into a stock CD again and refuse to use the new knoppix.img by
selecting cancel.
5. Rename this knoppix.img to something like stock-knoppix.img.

5. Repeat steps 1 and 2.
6. Install something.
7. Repeat step 4.

Compare the 2 images by mounting them
mount -t ext2 /media/hda1/stock-knoppix.img ./stock -o loop
mount -t ext2 /media/hda1/knoppix.img ./new -o loop

I am not sure about that mount command being correct though. Is it?
You get the idea though.

regards,
john woods