Re: Latest Knoppix?

On Thursday 04 December 2008 09:52:39 pm Klaus Knopper wrote:
> Right, instead of tying to reduce the DVD version down to CD, we rather
> decided to work to a new base CD/USB version which is going to appear
> soon ("this year"). Work in progress. The 5.3.1 version only exists as
> DVD yet, sorry.
>
> Regards
> -Klaus Knopper

We are all very glad to hear this good news. Thanks again!

If I may suggest some small additions:
for printing on Samsung printers (and many other color printers?) we need:

splix 2.0.0rc2 (.DEB for LSB 3.2) -
http://www.openprinting.org/download/printdriver/debian/dists/lsb3.2/main/binary-i386/openprinting-splix_2.0.0-0.rc2.4lsb3.2_i386.deb

I find this beta is more stable than the version 1 from debian.
Currently (K531) the Samsung printers are listed,
 but the CLP-300 would not install.
(to install a Samsung printer to use splix -  Browse to localhost:631 , add
printer, select the 2.0.0en driver)

please add to cheatcodes list:
	xmodule=r128 # for ATI Rage AGP cards
	(also radeon is listed twice)
ATI Rage cards now get vesa, 1024x768 max unless you specify xmodule=r128

If extract_compressed_fs still bails after 2G, I can send you my rewrite that I use.
(It's a bit old now, no bzloop)

Please consider adding some common utilities for systems not on the internet:
to hotplug an eSata drive:
	scsiadd/testing	# <.1m
file utils:
	cfv		# .2m    to verify a backup or rsync - md5 sha1 etc a whole tree.
	acl		#~ 0.1m   to change an acl
	p7zip-full	# <3M  unzip most anything (also p7zip-rar for unzip rar format)
	sdd		# .1m    fast whole-partition backup/restore; & used for some disk repairs.
security:
	rkhunter/testing		# <3M - security sweeps need to be done offline.
mouse utils:
	xinput		#.1m   to config wacom driver, etc
               	# wacom pressure-sensitive tablet not useable on K531 as-is
		# (can drag, can't move mouse ptr)

some less popular progs that are very useful:
inet utils:
	jigdo		# .4m  to download or update debian iso's suites etc.
	curl		#<1M like wget. used by scripts. Different options.
kb utils:
	xkeycaps		#1M  make keymaps for xmodmap to load (easy to use in a script)
	# xkeycaps and xmodmap are the foolproof simple easy way to fix keyboard layout problems
text editors:
	ted	# <3M. very fast .rtf editor (others like OO are VERY slow with large .rtf files)
system monitoring:
	hddtemp		# .3m
	ksensors/testing # 1.5M

Some that may be good:
mysql utils:
	libmyodbc		# .3m - so progs can use mysql
net utils:
	zssh 		# < .1m
	sshfs	# .1m
security:
	aide		# <2M. intrusion detect

It would help me greatly to have more loops (or a cheatcode to boost the number of loops)
(This may only be a problem when a loop is used during bootup, e.g. booting a .ISO)
(modprobe loop max_loop=32  # IF no loops are in use)

The last source I saw for cloop had no similar option.
It could be compiled with compressed_loop.c: #define CLOOP_MAX 32
(do unused cloops allocate RAM? Can one use --name to modprobe cloop twice?)

I have crashed knoppix a few times when a mount failed - filled up ramdisk instead of HD.
   This is really bad since USB drives often unmount spontaneously on K531.
K511 was good - never crashed, even on self-unmounts --  /mnt was not on main ramdisk.
To prevent crashes, /mnt and /media should not be on the main /ramdisk ( / on K531 )
   (I make a small tmpfs, 2M or so, then move /mnt/* to it, then mount --move it)

Finally, compiling the kernel with
	config TMPFS_POSIX_ACL
		(and maybe	config TMPFS_USER_XATTR )
would allow more secure ramdisks -- mount -t tmpfs -o acl,size=$n  ...
(esp. the main ramdisk mount -- if aufs is ok w acl -- for acl's on /home )

Thanks for your years of generosity.

Charles Evans