Re: takes 'forever' to get past tux

On 2008/12/18 07:07 (GMT+0100) Klaus Knopper composed:

> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:39:01AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Is there a problem booting from SATA DVD-ROM or ICH8R disk controller?
>> Looking through cheatcodes I don't see anything jump out related to SATA
>> boot. With 5.3.1 I tried:

>> knoppix 2 vga=791
>> knoppix failsafe 2 vga=791

>> Neither of them got me past display of the tux image, no text boot messages
>> whatsoever after a reasonable wait.
>
> If you boot with "knoppix debug loglevel=9", you should see the logging
> messages when booting. In the upcoming Knoppix 6 release, you see them
> by switching to console 12.

Looks like some sort of runlevel 1-type boot. I couldn't figure out how to
save dmesg output to something writable. Images of the boot messages are
knop* on http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/ . After those messages stopped I
did/got the following:

umount -a
exit
Creating unified filesystem and symlinks on ramdisk...mkdir: cannot create
directory 'UNIONFS': Read-only filesystem
mount: mounting /UNIONFS on /UNIONFS failed: No such file or directory
ERROR: CANNOT UNITE READ-ONLY MEDIA AND INITIAL RAMDISK!sd 2:0:1:0: [sdb]
Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 2:0:1:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
sd 2:0:0:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
System halted
>> Read-only DVD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk.
chown: /home/knoppix: No such file or directory
/init: line 1013: cannot create /var/run/utmp: nonexistent directory

>> knoppix expert

>> Got me booted, but only after a really really long wait for the first
>> messages to appear after tux, and I got no opportunity to specify modules.

>> /var/log has no logs. Output of dmesg is at
>> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/dmesg.knoppix.txt

> I think the problem is this:

> ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfdefe000 port 0xfdefe100 irq 16
> ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfdefe000 port 0xfdefe180 irq 16
> ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
> ata2: classification failed
> ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 8 secs
> ata2: classification failed
> ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 10 secs
> ata2: classification failed
> ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 35 secs
> ata2: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
> ata2: classfication failed, assuming ATA
> ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 310)

> Your SATA controller in in a inoperable state, and after a LOT of
> timeouts and retries is being reset.

> I'm not sure if there is a boot option to fix this. For IDE, ide0=reset
> ide1=reset ide2=reset ide4=reset is known to work if an IDE DVD drive
> refuses to work. But this is SATA in native mode, and I don't recall if
> there is a similar kernel boot parameter. You may succeed when setting
> SATA to "IDE compatible (Legacy) mode" in your computers BIOS, maybe
> also booting with acpi=off can help.

Mode options for SATA are: SATA, RAID, AHCI, Disabled. SATA was set. Changing
it to AHCI seems to disable boot from DVD, no matter what I set or disable
for boot devices order in the BIOS. Disabled seems to be ignored. RAID I
didn't try.

knoppix 2 vga=791 acpi=off seems to result in a normal boot. dmesg output
(with 0 occurrences of "reset") from that is:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/dmesg2-knoppix.txt

I immediately rebooted after the debug loglevel=9 boot to the installed
openSUSE 10.2 with kernel 2.6.18.2-34. Logs as follows:
/var/log/boot.msg:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/boot-suse.msg
dmesg output:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/dmesg-suse.txt
/var/log/messages:
http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/messages-suse.txt

The word "reset" appears in none of them. Have ICH8 or ACPI support regressed
in 5.3.1's newer 2.6.24.4 kernel?
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain."			Psalm 127:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/