Re: takes 'forever' to get past tux

Hello Felix,

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:39:01AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Is there a problem booting from SATA DVD-ROM or ICH8R disk controller?
> Looking through cheatcodes I don't see anything jump out related to SATA
> boot. With 5.3.1 I tried:
>
> knoppix 2 vga=791
> knoppix failsafe 2 vga=791
>
> Neither of them got me past display of the tux image, no text boot messages
> whatsoever after a reasonable wait.

If you boot with "knoppix debug loglevel=9", you should see the logging
messages when booting. In the upcoming Knoppix 6 release, you see them
by switching to console 12.

> knoppix expert
>
> Got me booted, but only after a really really long wait for the first
> messages to appear after tux, and I got no opportunity to specify modules.
>
> /var/log has no logs. Output of dmesg is at
> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/dmesg.knoppix.txt

I think the problem is this:

ata1: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfdefe000 port 0xfdefe100 irq 16
ata2: SATA max UDMA/133 abar m8192@0xfdefe000 port 0xfdefe180 irq 16
ata1: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
ata2: classification failed
ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 8 secs
ata2: classification failed
ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 10 secs
ata2: classification failed
ata2: reset failed (errno=-22), retrying in 35 secs
ata2: limiting SATA link speed to 1.5 Gbps
ata2: classfication failed, assuming ATA
ata2: SATA link up 3.0 Gbps (SStatus 123 SControl 310)

Your SATA controller in in a inoperable state, and after a LOT of
timeouts and retries is being reset.

I'm not sure if there is a boot option to fix this. For IDE, ide0=reset
ide1=reset ide2=reset ide4=reset is known to work if an IDE DVD drive
refuses to work. But this is SATA in native mode, and I don't recall if
there is a similar kernel boot parameter. You may succeed when setting
SATA to "IDE compatible (Legacy) mode" in your computers BIOS, maybe
also booting with acpi=off can help.

> PS: My CRT display has broken DDC. The X desktop opened at 1280x768, which
> seems an odd default or fallback. xorg.conf is at
> http://fm.no-ip.com/tmp/Linux/xorg.conf-knoppix

Default is 104x768, however, the X servers randr extension may chose a
different resolution if it thinks it's supported.

> PS2: [X600 ATI PCIe] Ctrl-Alt-Fx doesn't show a usable prompt. Brightness and
> contrast are so bad it's hard to tell the difference from a blank black
> screen. This doesn't happen with the openSUSE HD installation.

Known bug in the framebuffer driver of older kernels. This goes away
when booting with the "vga=normal" option.

Regards
-Klaus