Knoppix on laptop

I just bought my wife an HP Pavilion.  I am tearing my hair out
(figuratively speaking) over Vista so I am thinking of using Knoppix
as a temporary or perhaps permanent solution.  But I am new to the
world of wireless routers.  Does Knoppix have the necessary software
to manipulate a wireless connection? And forgive my ignorance, but do
I need another piece of hardware attached to the laptop to achieve a
wifi connection? I have a router with antennas on my main box between
it and the internet modem.
--
John Culleton