Re: Knoppix on laptop

Hallo,

I do not have an HP Pavilion, but my eeepc has a build in wireless lan, so i do not need aditional hardware: try lcpci
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter (rev 01)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Attansic Technology Corp. L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter (rev a0)
shows an atheros wireless is available!

ifconfig ath0 or lan0 or eth0 should show something like:
ifconfig ath0

ath0      Link encap:Ethernet  Hardware Adresse 00:15:af:a3:12:f5
A small script activates my card with WPA2 encryption:
/root/bin/wpa-eee.sh:
 8< --------
cat <<EOF>/tmp/x.tmp
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=20
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="routername-change-it"
        psk="topsecretkey-change-it!"
        scan_ssid=1
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=CCMP
        group=TKIP CCMP
        }

EOF
killall wpa_supplicant 2>/dev/null
rm /var/run/wpa_supplicant/ath0  2>/dev/null
wpa_supplicant -iath0 -Dmadwifi -c/tmp/x.tmp 2>/dev/null &
    ifconfig ath0 192.168.10.13 up  2>/dev/null
    dhclient ath0    2>/dev/null
ifconfig ath0
Change your key and router name! If your wireless card is not ath0 change it to its name.

Hope this helps!

Achim