Re: Can't NFS mount

On 2008/09/23 18:51 (GMT+0200) Klaus Knopper composed:

> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:41:33PM -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

>> 5.3.1

>> # mount -t nfs 192.168.1.2:/pub /nfs
>> mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking
>> 	Either use '-o nolocks' to keep locks local, or start statd

>> # statd
>> bash: statd: command not found

>> # /etc/init.d/statd
>> bash: statd: command not found

>> # mount -o nolocks -t nfs 192.168.1.2:/pub /nfs
>> mount.nfs: Unsupported nfs mount option: nolocks

>> How does one mount nfs exports with 5.3.1?

> Either do what mount suggests:

> mount -t nfs -o nolock 192.168.1.2:/pub /nfs

> (it's "nolock", not "nolocks"), or start portmap+statd prior
> to mounting:

The usage message I see on my i386 screen is nolocks, not nolock.

When I now tried with nolock, I get another error (but it mounted anyway):

Can't set permissions on mtab: Operation not permitted

/proc/mtab links to /proc/mounts, but then I get lost looking for what that
links from. It seems all circular references that include a proc# and self.

> /etc/init.d/portmap start

I did that, learned long ago from earlier Knoppix versions.

> /etc/init.d/nfs-common start

In 5.1.1 I didn't need to know that when the usage message said "statd" that
what it really meant was nfs-common. I think most of us mere mortal users are
not that clairvoyant. Indeed, statd was not even required in 5.1.1.

> KNOPPIX philosophy is to run as few (unneeded) services as possible,
> therefore neither portmap nor statd are started by default.

Indeed.

Thanks for your very fast response!
--
"Unless the Lord builds the house, its builders labor
in vain."			Psalm 127:1 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/