Re: "out of vmalloc space" cloop error message with Knoppix 5.1.1

At 01:17 PM 5/4/2008, Gilles van Ruymbeke wrote:
Hello,
On a re-mastered Knoppix 5.1.1 DVD I have the following error message:
"allocation failed: out of vmalloc space - use vmalloc=<size> to increase size" If I use a smaller amount of memory in the system or if I mount a smaller number
of cloop files (I have a total of 5) everything is just fine.
(I use extra cloops files to customize the dvd)
What do I need to do in order to fix this problem  ?
Best Regards,
Gilles

Hello,
This vmalloc problem in Knoppix 5.1.1 is due an over sized cloop preload parameter
defined in the linuxrc of the minirtrt.gz when over 1GB of memory is used.
To solve this you can either:
- use a smaller amount of RAM (not very practical with modern systems)
- use a smaller amount of cloop files to be merged by the unionfs (not desirable)
- use the "nopreload" kernel cheatcode (may be slow when a CD/DVD is used)
- fix the cloop kernel module to use __get_free_pages instead of vmalloc
as done in newer versions of the compressed_loop.c (the back port is not that simple) - or modify the linuxrc boot script within the minirt.gz as follow (my preferred solution):
 # 1GB Ram or more
 # About 32MB w/ blocksize 128k --> 16MB w/ blocksize 128k
 CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=256" --> CLOOP_PRELOAD="preload=128"
Hope this helps. Best Regards,
Gilles