Re: Patch for knoppix-image

Hello Ronny,

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 11:48:30PM +0200, Ronny Standtke wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> > Everytime I select this option Knoppix just hangs with the following error
> > message:
> > ------------
> > rsync: recv_generator: failed to stat "/UNIONFS/etc/ssh.wh..wh..opq":
> > Operation not permitted (1)
> > ------------
> > Is there any workaround for this problem? I really need this to work.
>
> Those .wh..* files seem to be special aufs files.

Right, they notify aufs of files on the read-only branch that have been
(virtually) removed from the filesystem (since you understandably cannot
remove files from the read-only branch), or renamed. I think I made too
many relaxed assumptions in copying only files from the
read/write-branch with all the meta information, but then, parsing the
entire unionfs tree for changes would take a few minutes at least, while
nl copying from the changed branch will speed up the process.

> I fixed the bug by adding
> another --exclude to the rsync in knoppix-image (see attached patch).
> I am no aufs expert and I do not understand all consequences of excluding
> these files. I leave the evaluation to the experts. Klaus? :-)

I think it should be OK, the only thing left out would probably be
removed files that are not going to be removed on the added knoppix.img
branch. I'm going to add your patch in the next release as well, thanks!
:-)

-Klaus