Fwd: Knoppix 5.3 something causes loop

After fudging email addresses I will...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Klaus Knopper <rem@v.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 13:54:23 +0100
Subject: Re: Knoppix 5.3 something causes loop
To: John Woods <rem@v.edu>

Hi John,
If you like,please forward this to the list, if you think it's useful.
On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 03:19:28PM -0400, John Woods wrote:
> Hi Klaus,
>
> Apologies for writing to you, instead of the list. I was not sure what
> to do, in this case.
>
> I recently grabbed the 5.3 knoppix via torrent. I was also seeding it.
> I finally decided to try it and booted it in my usual manner, the
> fromhd=/dev/partition/ which has /KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX and KNOPPIX2 with
> the other files.
> It looks like I had no disk in /dev/hdc, but this happened when there
> is a disk in the drive. /dev/hdc should be my dvd burner. It was
> detected as such in the autoconfig output.
> Just before I get to runlevel 2, I get a looping output of...
>
> hdc: status error: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> ide: failed opcode was: unknown
> hdc: drive not ready for command
> over and over.
> This is a old 2004 bios board with AMD 2400+ cpu and Via chipset so
> commonly seen.
> Just a heads up to you. Somethings different.
I have seen this, too, on a HP notebook and I think it's a bug in the
atapi code of
Kernel 2.6.24(.0), which may or may not go away with the next
patchlevel. This workaround worked for me:
knoppix ide1=reset
which will reset the second and third IDE device after the ports have
been probed. This was especially handy for cases where booting from CD
resulted in a "filesystem not found" message after long DMA timeouts
(with "nodma" having no effect).
> Otoh, I could have, probably have done something wrong.
You surely didn't, I'm quite sure it's a kernel bug in the IDE drivers
of early 2.6.24. ;-)