knoppix-halt, pump, and persistent $home

Hi everybody,

This is a heads up to Klaus and company to address an issue where pump
leaves open files in /usr and /var. This causes any further remounts
of the persistent image(knoppix.img) after the very first one to cause
an fsck to clean up.
It was discussed on the forums, to describe and then find some fixes.
I proposed this one... though I do not use NFS at all... but it has
stopped any further fsck from happening. So did other uglier hacks...
:)

Titled 'Error messages when loading persistant image'
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28412

Since it is enough to patch the knoppix-halt script on a mounted
persistent $home which also overlays the /KNOPPIX.IMG/etc/knoppix-halt
with the patched version... it is not critical really... but the
system also shuts down faster with pump -k used. I think there is some
delay caused by something waiting for pump to finish closing which
never happens, and so a timeout must be occuring. I'd send a patch but
mine is not fit for patching anymore. Here is the section that really
has just one additional line.

pump -k

...which btw must be done after NFS are umount'ed. If you try it out
on a knoppix.img you should also see the decreased shutdown times.

This pump bug is so old... I'll bet the maintainer is afraid if he
fixes it it will break alot of other things. :)

around line 152...
# Unmount network filesystems first before shutting down network
NFSBUSY=""
NETMOUNTS="$(gawk '{if($1~/:/){print $2}}' /proc/mounts 2>/dev/null)"
if [ -n "$NETMOUNTS" ]; then
echo "${BLUE}Unmounting network filesystems.${NORMAL}"
# Preload programs we need later, in case we lose the network too early
swapoff --help >/dev/null 2>&1
losetup --help >/dev/null 2>&1
mount --help >/dev/null 2>&1
umount --help >/dev/null 2>&1
gawk --help >/dev/null 2>&1
tac --help >/dev/null 2>&1
# Umount NFS (if not busy)
umount -t nfs,nfs4,smbfs -alv 2>/dev/null
fi
# see http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=261803 for why
this is needed here.
# When knoppix-persistent home feature is used... pump prevents their
umount from succeeding.
# unless killed explicitly.
pump -k

# Umount devpts early (otherwise UNIONFS may stay busy)
umount -t devpts -a 2>/dev/null

regards,
john woods