Re: Second question for 2008

On Wednesday 23 January 2008 05:01:49 pm Marc Haber wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 03:48:10PM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> > The connection is cable (Comcast.) The problem is that most forms of
> > Debian reverse the logical names of my nic devices. eth0 becomes eth1 and
> > eth1 becomes eth0.
>
> Take a look in /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules and fix the
> mapping from MAC address to interface name.
>
> >   I determine this from comparing the MAC numbers shown in ifconfig. I
> >   have since installed Kubunu from the Kubuntu live cdrom (latest
> >   unstable version) and that configured the nics correctly.  Knoppix
> >   also identifies the nics correctly but an HD installation of Knoppix
> >   is not trivial. I no longer have a conventional Debian partition up
> >   but I suppose I could create one just to read off the lspci results.
>
> lspci results shouldn't vary from distribution to distribution
>
> > The error message is of course, "network not found."
>
> I do not understand the "of course", as I have never seen this error
> message in ten years of networking with various Linux systems.
>
> Please give an exact example of what you are doing to obtain this
> error message.
>
> Greetings
> Marc
>
> --
>-- Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im
> Header Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621
> 72739834 Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49
> 3221 2323190

Sorry, the exact message was (url name) not found.  The meaning however is
that the network conection was not established.  I couldn't  ping comcast.net
(my ISP) and so on.

Since I have now established a Kubuntu partition that does indeed reach the
network the point is now moot, at least for me.  It still calls my nic eth1,
but it will indeed use it for my internet connection. I can update packages
and compile programs that are not easily established on my gnome-less
Slackware partition.   And Gnome for Slackware 12 is not yet proven, although
there are third party packages for Slack 11. So I can use Kubuntu for the
bleeding edge graphic stuff and Slack for the rest.  Why not use Kubuntu for
everything? Well KDE 4 is incomplete, no Kmail for example.   But I need KDE4
for the latest Inkscape, latest Krita etc.

--
John Culleton