Re: Second question for 2008

On Monday 21 January 2008 03:17:22 pm Marc Haber wrote:
> Subject: Re: Second question for 2008
>
> Please use a little more helpful subjects so that people can see
> whether they might be able to answer.
>
> On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 10:00:11AM -0500, John Culleton wrote:
> > BTW I can't get any Debian/Ubuntu/Kubuntu version to find my internet
> > connection,
>
> Why? What kind of Internet connection do you have? What does lspci
> say? Are there any error messages?
>
> Greetings
> Marc
>
> --
>-- Marc Haber         | "I don't trust Computers. They | Mailadresse im
> Header Mannheim, Germany  |  lose things."    Winona Ryder | Fon: *49 621
> 72739834 Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49
> 3221 2323190

The connection is cable (Comcast.) The problem is that most forms of Debian
reverse the logical names of my nic devices. eth0 becomes eth1 and eth1
becomes eth0.  I determine this from comparing the MAC numbers shown in
ifconfig. I have since installed Kubunu from the Kubuntu live cdrom (latest
unstable version) and that configured the nics correctly.  Knoppix also
identifies the nics correctly but an HD installation of Knoppix is not
trivial. I no longer have a conventional Debian partition up but I suppose I
could create one just to read off the lspci results.

The error message is of course, "network not found."

--
John Culleton